Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Thank Goodness it's all your fault and I'm still perfect....

What if CrossFitters ran NYC?  I thought about this today as I watched the news and saw the statement from Mayor Bloomberg.  It would seem that some of the residents felt that the City didn't get the enormous amount of snow removed from the streets in an efficient manner.  Snow plows made ice  'guardrails' that blocked in the parked vehicles.  The sanitation department was unable to keep their regular schedule and remove the bags of trash that were piling on the sidewalks.  People were inconvenienced.  Anytime a city with the population of 8,391,881 gets almost 2 feet of snow, it is going to be a huge cluster fuck. 
WWCFD? (what would CrossFit do?)  Well, my first guess is that we would suggest that residents buy an effing shovel, if they didn't already have one.  Then use it.  Dig out your own car.  It doesn't take a genius to surmise that the 2 feet wet slushy crap that the plows are pushing aside will freeze into an ice wall overnight.  Go outside.  Cover your ass.  Dig out your vehicle.   Clear the walk in front your residence.  And, if you are so inclined, a few feet more on either side.  The trash guy isn't coming today-duh-so, don't throw your bags outside like they will.  Act like a community.  It costs NYC one million dollars to remove and recover from each inch of snow.  One million per inch.  Now, it is snowing on 'the City that never sleeps'-again.  And, it's a lot of that white stuff.   No one is asking you to be a hero to the other residents on your street, just buy or borrow a shovel and help yourself...I would.
But. that is not how the majority of our world thinks.  We blame.  In our grief and frustration, we search for an explanation.  And the answers are often replaced with one's that make us feel better about our decisions.
"Why does that ice cream have to taste so good, cause IT has made me flabby!"
"I don't know why the kids have to want cookies.  Their food is too much of a temptation.  Damn kids"
"I'm out of shape because gym memberships are too expensive."
"I didn't get in a good WOD because my usual trainer wasn't there."
"I couldn't get my pull-ups or my lifts, because someone was using the bar I usually use."
"The guy next to me was distracting, sounded like he was having a man-gasim, was stanky, talked to me etc.  He ruined the WOD for me."

So, how do we stop 'the blame game'?  By being brutally honest with ourselves and others.

"I can't go to Burger King.  I don't exercise self-control when I go.  Can you pick up the chicken that the kids wanted?  I eat their fries on the drive home and act dismayed with everyone else when the smaller portions are removed from the bag."

"Even though walking, running, push-ups, sit-ups air-squats and stretching are free, I chose to watch the entire Today Show instead of exercising.  I know that I'll never lose weight from the nausea that I experience when I watch the dreaded 4th hour with Kathie Lee and Hoda, but I watched it anyway.  They had wine."

"I had a crappy day.  I let it take over my WOD.  My emotions were bigger than me.  I didn't concentrate on my form and my time suffered because of it."

"The girl next to me is faster and stronger than me.  I didn't concentrate on doing what is my best and lost time because of it.  I feel like a fool, cause I'm a guy.  Guys are supposed to be stronger than girls."

"The girl next to me is faster and stronger than me.  And, she is pretty.  I didn't concentrate on doing what is my best and lost time because of it.  I feel like a fool, cause this isn't the time for petty thoughts.  But, here I am.  Crap, she isn't even sweating.  I'm not using this time to concentrate on myself."

"I chose not to shovel because I thought someone else would do it for me.  They usually do.  I know that they are overwhelmed with a situation that is out of their control, but I decided to throw the dice anyway.  I was aware that the plow had blocked in my car with snow, but I spent my time being pissed while the snow froze into an impenetrable ice wall.  Now, I see that my plan sucked.  I'm feeling bitter."

Your honesty will not make you popular with others.  Or yourself.  It won't placate your friends who are used to your help in justifying their poor decisions and finger pointing. (ex. "Yes, he acted like a total dick.  You totally deserve cake, a very expensive purse, or telling his Sister-who you hate-that he returns the majority of the gifts she buys him etc. etc. etc.)  But, if we let our negative feelings, internal lies and blame pile up, they will, like plowed snow,congeal into an impenetrable hate wall.  I'm going to try to see my life like a huge snowstorm.  I'll try to see the beauty in the storm and not let things pile up.  Even if someone else is supposed to clean up the mess, I am going to try to be proactive with the part that affects me and my loved ones.  Because negative bullshit, like the snow, is easier to clear right after it falls.  Shit happens.  Just shovel it up and go on.






5 comments:

  1. I loved this post. After a few frustrating WODs lately, I am really trying to refocus on what MY best is and not compare it to everyone else. Lord knows that's depressing. See, there I go again.

    I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A shovel????? baby I got 4 wheel drive!!! I' ll be happy to bring somebody a shovel though..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your passion for what you do and your wit are oozing out. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete