Monday, January 17, 2011

Mom. Dad. I'm Ophiuchus...


I'm all out of sorts!  Up is down.  Left is right.  Cookies are carrot sticks.   Burpees are wallballs.  I'm no longer a Sagittarius.  I'm an Ophiuchus.
WTF?
I mean, really.
We have added a 13th sign and, in addition, messed with the dates of the other ones.  Before you laugh at my astrological screwjob, check this out:
ARIES = APRIL 19 - MAY 13
TAURUS = MAY 14 - JUNE 19
GEMINI = JUNE 20 - JULY 20
CANCER = JULY 21 - AUG 9
LEO = AUGUST 10 - SEPTEMBER 15
VIRGO = SEPTEMBER 16 - OCTOBER 30
LIBRA = OCTOBER 31 - NOVEMBER 22
SCORPIO = NOVEMBER 23 - NOVEMBER 29
OPHIUCHUS = NOVEMBER 30 - DECEMBER 17
SAGITTARIUS = DECEMBER 18 - JANUARY 18
CAPRICORN = JANUARY 19 - FEBRUARY 15
AQUARIUS = FEBRUARY 16 - MARCH 11
PISCES = MARCH 12 - APRIL 18

Not so funny now, huh?
And, of course, since I'm the 13th sign, my lucky number is 12.  And listed under traits:  Wearer of plaid.
Again.  WTF?
In my opinion, the people who usually take these things seriously are still living in their parent's basement.  And, they are probably doing bong hits, as we speak.  I don't know why this is unsettling, but I think it is because this is part of my 'label'.  I am used to being Sagittarius.  It was a description of who I am.  It really described me well.
  "Gosh, you're hyper.  Friendly.  Impulsive.  Driven.  You have a potty mouth."
"Well, I'm Sagittarius."    No more.
It has me thinking about being rx'd at CrossFit.  At first, 35# kettlebells were rx'd for women.  Then 55#.  And, if you watch Mainsite, you know that this will probably change in the future.  We will be doing Man-Fran someday.  I don't doubt this-95# thrusters, ladies.
I hate to scale.  HATE IT!!!!!!!!  If I had a swear jar dollar for every time I had to scale, I'd have a fuckload of dollars.  I am just not proficient in all the movements.  But, I do it.  I scale to keep up intensity.  It makes me frowny.  If rx'd work feels like Christmas morning, then scaling feels like this:

I allow scaling to poo on my WOD.  Because, I think of myself as mostly rx'd.  I don't mind scaling when I simply have not mastered the skill, like handstand push-ups.  But, when I have the ability to do the weight and need to scale for intensity in a WOD, it makes me nuts.
There are tons of reasons to scale.  Ability being one.  Easing back in after an injury(damn it.  why did I have to whack my fingers on that stupid box!!!!) being another of many.  But, scaling for intensity is something that everyone needs to do.  And, we shouldn't EVER let it fool ourselves into thinking that we are less of an athlete than the person next to us.  Maybe 65# is rx'd in a WOD.  And you can OHS 65#.  But, if the rest of the folks are getting in 10 rounds and you are getting 3, you should have scaled.  Maybe at 45#, you can get 9 or 10 rounds.  Or 13.  Intensity is more important than rx'd, if you want to make gains as a CrossFitter.  Oh, if only I hadn't been so pigheaded, oh so many times.  I actually wasted a lot of time dwelling on scaling, instead of realizing that THE SCALING WAS PROGRESSIVELY MAKING ME STRONGER BECAUSE I WAS KEEPING UP MY INTENSITY!!!!!!! 
So yes, now there are 13 meaningless categories in which you may label yourself and base important decisions on, like mate compatibility and lotto numbers.  And, you can go the Box and label yourself as scaled or rx'd.  But, at the end of the day, you are you.  Period.  You will grow and progress and change.  And tomorrow, you may be a rx'd athlete.  Or, a Pisces.  Or scaled.  As long as you are living your life with purpose, honesty and at the proper intensity, does it really matter what your 'label' reads today?
I'm not saying to not have goals.  Set goals.  They are important.  And meet them.  I met my goal for the 1st week of the SoMo weight loss challenge.  It was a manageable goal.  I will met next week's, as well.  Progressing forward slowly. 
I feel as happy as this little guy.  Life is good-even though I still can't pronounce Ophiuchus.





1 comment:

  1. Well said... I'm taking it to heart chick.. thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete