Monday, January 3, 2011

Cheesus

I did clean and jerks today.  Everything feels awkward and a little painful, but my finger continues to heal.  I took off the split and taped it off.  I wasn't able to achieve my 1 rep max.  I was actually 13lbs. under.  BUT, I was able to do barbell work.  And, any day that you get to do barbell work is a good day.  I like the whole chalky, sweaty grunty experience.  I love the explosive noise that the bar makes when you drop it and the loud music.  It's sexy stuff, folks!
But, without a good nutritional base, CrossFit is no fun.  It's a hot mess.  Trust me. 
I like the Paleo lifestyle.  Mostly, because I detest Zone.  In saying that, I have had some great results and WODs with both.  And, since most successful Crossfitters subscribe to one of the two, I feel inspired to choose one.  And, it is usually Paleo.  I like not doing 'block math' when I am hungry.  I can scarcely string together a sentence when I am hungry.  Sometimes I want a whole damn banana, not 1/3, for a snack.  I feel like a knob trying to pawn off 2/3 a banana.   I like not counting almonds.  I feel superior, like, "F U zone people.  I just ate 8 almonds.  Or, was it 13?  I don't know.  And, it doesn't matter.  Cause, I'm a cave woman. And, I may or may not combine that with an apple.  Don't feel like eating protein right now.  Sucks to be you."
But, then there is cheese.  I love cheese so much.  It makes everything better.  I love a good fresh mozzarella with a super high quality balsamic.  And, it is not Paleo.  Cheesus!  That puts me in a pickle(also, not Paleo.)  And, I lose my balsamics on Paleo.
So, one would think that Zone might be a better choice for me.  My husband does Zone with great success and very little frustration.  Oh, why do I hate you, Zone?
CrossFit SoMO has announced a new weight loss competition beginning next week.  I did very well in the last one, losing 17lbs. on Paleo.  I've gained back 7 by making craptacular choices like Bugles on Broccoli Cheese soup and Blizzards from DQ.  I'd like to lose the 7 plus 10 more.
Have you ever done a lift and then inched up the weight by 5lbs. and failed?  WTF?  It's only 2 little 2.5lb. plates!  It may as well be 50lbs.-it feels like it.  7 or 17 lbs. makes a huge difference on body weight movements.  I'm motivated to lose so that I can make steady gains.  I'd like to get my C2B's and HSPU.  And, I feel like I am not quite strong enough to accomplish these at my current weight.  Plus, these are freaking cool movements!  I feel like a tool using the band again, just to accomplish C2B, when I can do unassisted pull-ups.
So, here is the plan.  I will food journal and eat clean.  I will not put chips on cream based soups and I will not eat frosting from a can.  I will eat cheese and nuts in moderation(1-2 oz. a day) and I will lean on the Paleo side of the spectrum.  And, I will keep you posted on my results.

1 comment: