Sunday, March 27, 2011

AMTAP in 6 weeks......




I've been watching videos on the CrossFit Open site and going through the Leaderboards.  Wow.  I've seen some AMAZING stuff!  And, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate my fellow athletes and friends.  Some of you are borderline Jedi.
I would also like to throw out a big "THANK YOU" to my family at CrossFit SoMO.  I suffer from performance anxiety and double-unders are not my thing...yet.:)  Thanks for the respect that you show each other while judging and spectating.  We support each other and respect one another enough to call "No rep." 
That was the amazing thing I kept seeing on "The Site".  WTF?  Range of motion is clearly stated in the video provided by HQ.  Actually, to be an ass about it, range of motion should be taught at the Box during your on-ramp phase or if you are a garage gym, from watching Mainsite demo videos.
I know what some of you are thinking. 
No.
Have you seen the athletes who got scores less than 10?  They're on there.  They busted their butts, got as many attempts in as possible and walked away with a few double-unders.  Hold your heads high.   You should be proud of the score that you submitted!  I have more respect for those guys than the 'clean grip snatch, 29 double-under, not locked-out 6 rounds' videos I've been watching.
My friends have enough respect for me and themselves to call "No rep." Thanks guys!  Love you!
BTW, I got 1 full round, 30 d/u and 6 snatches...LEGIT. 
Is that going to move me forward?  No.  But, all my snatches were locked out.  It took me around 4 minutes to 30 double-unders, sets of 5 for my snatches and another 4 minutes for the next 30.  I did the last 6 with the time I had left.  But, I did the rx'd work with integrity and honesty.

Do I think all of the people who submitted questionable videos know that some of their reps shouldn't count?  No.  Sometimes the possible range of motion for an athlete has to do with ability, injury, flexibility etc.  Anyone who has been to a CrossFit competition will tell you that each Judge is different.
Here's a story....

I'm at the HOA Challenge and we are doing Fight Gone Bad.  I'm on the scaled team.  My row was 18 cal., my push presses are good, my box jumps are pretty good and here comes wallball.  I'm a little excited because it is a 10lb. ball and that's lighter than what I usually use.  The target is this loft wall with people looking at you over the edge.  That was....varied.  My judge was an athlete I admire-that's his arm in the picture.  We'll call him Nemo. :)

I was hitting over the line every time.  If Nemo was doing a wallball, his standard would be ENTIRE ball over the line.  I've always been happy if the ball hit the wall over the tape line.  So, as a competitor, I had to perform up to his standards that he would set for himself.  I had a round of more "No reps."  than "Good!"  Bummer.  BUT, now I hold myself to a higher standard on wallballs.  His "No Reps" made me a better athlete.  Plus, I didn't say the f-word, so it was a personal growth moment, as well.  Thanks Nemo!

It will be interesting to see how it all comes out in the end.  I'm going to do my best and keep holding myself to a higher standard.  It may not be Jedi, but I'm too legit to quit!
Good luck, Friends!
Bring on week 2! 
 


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic Nicole! I admire you so much for how you approach everything. You are my jedi!

    ReplyDelete